There is something about eating tapas that makes an evening out that little bit extra-special, so much more sociable… I’m not sure if it is all the varied taste sensations, or the sharing of all the dishes, or the different focus on the food and wine,… or a combination of it all, it just adds up to a great night out!
Friday night saw us head off for a Tapas evening @The Food Barn Deli in Noordhoek. We were warmly greeted and shown to table quickly. The first thing we did was have a look at the wine list. As the introduction to the wine list explains… “Being passionate entrepreneurs, we resonate with a lot of the new breed of winemakers, who are pushing the boundaries, breaking the rules and creating cutting edge wines with personality and energy. This wine list reflects that.”…
And the wine list sure does reflect this sentiment. They offer a range of very interesting wines and they are ALL available by the glass – or in this case by the carafe. Serving the wine by the glass option in a carafe was perfect for us – we started off with one carafe of red (the one recommended by our waiter) and after a couple of sips my partner decided that he wanted to have a white rather – that left me with red and he could have the white – this idea is so perfect for when you are trying something new and gives you the opportunity to change your mind with ease, without too much of an impact on your back pocket.
What was also very reassuring was that we found our waiter to be knowledgeable about all the wines. As my partner was having a white he had not heard of before, he asked to see the bottle. When it was brought to the table, we could immediately see that the bottle had a Le Verre de Vin stopper in it. What this told us was:
- The wine had been opened before and yet is was still fresh.
- The Food Barn and Deli are using a Le Verre de Vin system which gives us, the consumer, peace of mind that the wine we are being offered is as fresh as if it had just been opened.
- The system is being effectively used – because the glass of wine had just been poured when the waiter was asked to bring the wine bottle to the table and the stopper was already in it – this means that the wine had been preserved and sealed as soon as it had been poured – which also shows that it takes just seconds to use.
- It also effectively demonstrates how you can offer a whole range of wines by the glass and can trust that Le Verre de Vin will preserve the wine and keep it fresh every time that you use it.
- It underscores the entrepreneurial insights of Pete and Franck, who really GET the immense value in having a wine and bubbly Le Verre de Vin preservation system in place to be able to offer all their wines by the glass
The Food Barn and Deli have used a Le Verre de Vin system for many years and would be highly challenged to be able to offer their range of little known wines, by the glass (or carafe) without this world-class means to preserve their wine!
Once we had settled with our wine, we made our selection of tapas dishes! Oh My Word!!… all these delicious savoury dishes to taste, and share, and enjoy, and enthuse over. Eating out like this becomes quite a different experience as you focus more on the food and discuss the taste explosions and want the other to try this or that…… All delicious, and all somehow working with all the other dishes that we had ordered. With the combination of delicious new wines and taste bud tantalising food, this was a really good night out – go and try The Food Barn Deli Tapas out!!
If you would like to know more about Le Verre de Vin and how you can really reap the benefit of offering a range of wine by the glass too, then please contact us on 021 788 9788 or email us at and we will be happy to discuss this with you in more detail.